General Motors published the 2022 GM China Sustainability Report. It highlights the company’s efforts and achievements in leading an all-electric future, energy saving and emission reductions, and education and corporate social responsibility. It also showcases the company’s sustainable development path guided by its global vision of Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion.
2022 GM China Sustainability Report Highlights
- Leading an all-electric future for everyone:
- GM is pursuing a two-pronged strategy in China to provide the most diverse range of electric vehicle choices. It will introduce more than 15 Ultium-based models across its global brands in China by the end of 2025. Based on the locally developed Global Small Electric Vehicle (GSEV) platform, SAIC-GM-Wuling has introduced 10 EV models in China, including the best-selling Wuling Hong Guang MINIEV family.
- By 2025, GM’s EV manufacturing capacity in China will surpass 1 million units a year. GM has launched Ultium Centers in Wuhan and Shanghai to assemble battery packs and support the rapid rollout of locally produced Ultium-based EVs.
- An enhanced version of Super Cruise with lane change on demand and automatic lane change technology has been introduced in China. Steady progress has been made in GM’s partnership with Momenta to develop a new generation of intelligent driving solutions for the Chinese market.
- Facilitating sustainable manufacturing and protecting the environment:
- Three GM China plants have received ENERGY STAR recognition for decreasing their energy intensity by 10% over five years. GM China’s joint venture facilities have been honored 31 times since 2009.
- In 2022, all GM plants across China actively carried out energy conservation measures. The launch of 541 energy-saving projects led to standard coal savings of 30,466 metric tons and cost savings of RMB 66 million.
- China production facilities have actively participated in Green Factory application. SAIC-GM-Wuling’s four manufacturing sites and SAIC-GM’s Jinqiao, Dongyue and Norsom plants have all received Green Factory certification.
- GM has been conducting energy treasure hunts in China for five years. In 2022, a treasure hunt at SAIC-GM-Wuling’s Liuzhou Assembly plant identified 15 energy-saving opportunities, which are expected to save the facility about $470,000.
- GM prioritizes preserving biodiversity and restoring natural ecosystems. Four SAIC-GM-Wuling sites have been certified by the Wildlife Habitat Council (WHC) for their commitment in this important area.
- Supporting education and giving back to society:
- 2022 marked the ninth year of the Safe Kids Safe Ride program, which is promoting the safety of children in and around vehicles. In 2022, the program reached out to more than 1,000 kindergartens in 75 cities, benefiting more than 6.1 million people.
- GM China sponsors the Junior Achievement (JA) China Student Company program, which aims to develop entrepreneurship among high school students. In the 2022 fall semester, the nonprofit’s program was carried out at 13 high schools in Shanghai and Nanjing. GM volunteer mentors developed a new Sustainability learning module to make the program even more rewarding.
- The Chevrolet Red Chalk Program celebrated its 16th anniversary in 2022. More than 1,200 volunteers have visited 135 schools in 29 Chinese provinces and municipalities, providing more than 39,000 rural students with courses to improve their outlook.
Source : GM